Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas 2010 - Traditions and gifts

Marty says "Anything Goes" for this week's "Tabletop Tuesday"...so here I go! Be sure to visit "A Stroll Thru Life" for a wonderful visit with Marty and friends!



We've been blessed with another wonderful Christmas filled with the love of family and friends.

One of my family traditions growing up was my mother's Italian dinner for Christmas Eve -- I've carried that on as a Christmas Eve lunch of Lasagna, salad, garlic bread and my husband's sweet potato pie. We had four generations around our tables. My dad, Mr Mid-Atlantic and me, our daughter Katy and her husband Brett and his sister Rachel, and our twin grandgirls, Kendall and Keelyn. I set two tables -- this was the dining room table setting.


And this was the kitchen table setting.



This "china" was the very first set of Christmas dishes I owned. I've always loved holly, so when I found these after Christmas about 25 years ago, I was thrilled to get a box (settings for 4) at half price (something like $10). Over the years I've added more - (in fact this year I found some matching glasses on eBay that should arrive soon -- they'll be added to the table next year). We always invited my in-laws for Christmas morning breakfast and used these. At this point in life, I could probably afford to purchase a much more elegant set of Christmas dishes to use -- but these are the ones that hold wonderful memories for me....much more precious! Now my children have carried on the tradition of Christmas morning breakfast and we go to our daughter's home. (Our son and his family live in Georgia) -- I gave them both boxes of Christmas dishes when they were first married. So fun to see the tradition live on!



These were for the twins. I found these at Goodwill before Christmas last year and the Santa cups were a fun addition this year from Target.


This little centerpiece trio of angels called my name at Marshalls this year.



They're even sweet from the backside -- love those little wings...but most especially....


....their little arms wrapped around each other in love!



It was certainly a gift to have the grandgirls here and watch them open their Christmas Eve gift of new pj's -- this is Kendall.



And Keelyn...too bad I didn't get pictures of the pj's too. You can see that unwrapping is serious business!



This sweet little tin box was a gift from a wonderful friend....it quickly became a part of my Christmas decor as a mistletoe box!



And can you see that there's a new guy in town?



....yep....that would be Santa #48 for our collection! My husband's sister and husband give us a new Santa each year and Santa has put some in my stocking over the years as well. I think maybe this one is a little camera shy.



There! That's better!



And last, a picture of our White Christmas. It started snowing Christmas night around 6 and was still snowing yesterday morning when I went out to get the paper.




Best of all....I have no place to go! So I can enjoy this picture perfect snow without having to dig out....another gift!

Hope you've had a wonderful Christmas at your cottage or castle...wishing you many blessings for the New Year.

See ya!

18 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Martha! Oh, what a lovely table you have set, and I, too, love those little angels from the back, holding each other -- so precious! You are truly blessed to have had such a lovely family around you for the holiday. And your meal of the lasagna, garlic bread, etc. sounded DELICIOUS! Wish I could have been there! YUM! ;)
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely Christmas you have had, full of lovely things.
    Enjoy the snow whilst it lasts and stay warm by the fire.
    BTW your house looks picture perfect in the snowy landscape.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love a snowstorm when you have nowhere to go and nothing to do? I'm enjoying being snowed in with my family too.
    Take care Martha and Happy New Year!!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet memories your holly dishes hold! I think giving Christmas dishes to your offspring is a wonderful idea. Your grandchildren are ADORABLE! Enjoy being cozy inside with the pretty snow outside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A white Christmas.. and traditions.. and family... it doesn't get much better than that. Your tables are delightful. I love your first set of Christmas dishes myself! Happy New Year and many blessings in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Martha! Oh, how beautiful your home is in the snow! I wish we could have snow!! Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas! Look at the twins - they're grown!! Man, has time flown by. They are adorable! Your tables are so pretty. See, you were getting ready for tablescaping many years ago.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Martha, how lovely your home looks! Inside and out. Those table settings are all so glorious.

    Thanks for welcoming me into your lovely home.

    I enjoyed visiting you here today.

    I'm sending you best wishes for a 2011 filled with grace and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martha,
    The snow is lovely at your house.
    The tables look lovely too along with the grandgirls opening their gifts!
    Stay warm and Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a perfect CHristmas celebration, nothing better than being with family and using memorable dishes while snowing outside. Have a happy and blessed new year, Martha!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful snow shot! Glad you are having a delightful holiday. Stay warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Santa #48~ Your home looks cozy blanketed with snow! Sending you warm wishes for a Happy New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet story! How nice that your family all has the breakfast tradition set by you! It sounds as though you are very blessed. Happy New Year, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like you had a merry Yuletide together with loveones. That counted the most.

    Oh Yea! snow... we had our snow since the first week of Dec. & it's snowing non-stop. Chaos!

    Anyways, that doesn't stop us celebrating the birth of our Saviour, though we missed our son's presence.

    Hope you'll have a bountiful NY to come...

    Greetings from chilly Stockholm,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Martha, I can't believe the twins look so much older! Where has the time gone. They are still cuties though. Your tables look so pretty, and your home in the snow is just breath taking. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love your Christmas dishes, what wonderful traditions and how special to carry them on each year and to pass the desire on to your children. Your grands are adorable, and how fun to have them there for Christmas. Love all of your Santas, wow, that is quite the collection. The snow looks fabulous. So glad you were able to stay inside and enjoy it. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just look at that snow... It looks like a beautiful Christmas! :)

    I wish you a wonderful and Happy New Year!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Love them all, but you know that the Irish village speaks to my heart! 3♣
    Love you snow pic. We had a ton, but it is slowly melting!
    Happy 2011, Martha!

    ReplyDelete