Sunday, July 3, 2011

Giving Birth to Independence Day

It's always a delight to visit Colonial Williamsburg (we honeymooned there almost 36 years ago) -- but it's certainly a wonderful place to visit on or close to Independence Day. We were able to walk around for the day last week when our son's family was here. Our first stop was the Govenor's Palace. This was the home to 7 royal governors and after independence, Govenors Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson until the capitol was moved to Richmond.




Our guide for the day in her Colonial dress. The furnishings that are shown are from the time of the last royal govenor, John Murray the 4th Earl of Dunmore. I had a hard time with the interior pictures because I either had to get close up...or get pictures of the other people on the tour in them. So you don't really get a sense of the size of these rooms.



The entryway is where most business would take place .... few people ever got past this point. You can see the dark wood and the display of swords....


....and muskets - rather imposing wouldn't you say?



A peek into the pantry --- wouldn't I love that sort of storage?



The family dining room -- don't you love the floor covering?



This table is being set off the ball room for evening refreshment.



This was one of the beds in the upper chambers.



Lots of beautiful millwork.


Loved the blue and white tiles surrounding this upstairs fireplace.



Beautiful crystal and silver chandelier.




Standing so close I had to get two pictures of this gorgeous bedding.






Ourdoor grounds.



The kitchen was, of course,not connected to the house but an outbuilding. Another guide in colonial dress.



And, yes, she really does cook all this food -- it' real. Wish I had taken a closer shot of the baked apples --- the dough was cut and shaped to make them look like pineapples.



More dish storage.


Love all the pewter plates.



The capital building. Virginia was the first colony to speak for American Independence. This is where on May 15, 1776 fundamental liberties were debated and ended in the creation of a new government. Virginia instructed its delegation at the Philadelphia Contenental Congress to move the question of freedom.







More Colonial interaction on the very ground where the rumblings and debates on independence first started .... giving birth to the freedoms we all enjoy today.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Martha, May you have a wonderful 4th of July!
    I'd love to see all of this in person. I hope some day I get to. It really interest me. Hope hope!

    So glad you have shared.
    Enjoyed your post,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Williamsburg is definitely on my "Places to See List".
    I love historical tours.
    Wondering, IYO, when is the best time of the year to visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martha! Oh, I love Williamsburg!! What fun and great pictures. Hope you've had a wonderful 4th of July!
    Thanks for popping in to see me and glad you liked to read those little books too!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to see your pictures of Williamsburg as I will never get to see it in person. It makes me remember my history and why we love America.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful place to be on the 4th. I loved the pictures. I have never been there....only through it. I will take time to stop next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martha, I loved this tour. It has been so long since I've been to see all of this. Thank you for reminding me of how beautiful and interesting it all is. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Martha,

    I really LOVE Williamsburg!! We were there ten years ago with our son on a Boy Scout trip. It's about a five or six hour drive for us, and I can't get my husband to go back. He's just not into the history thing like I am. I'll just have to find someone else to go with me. Really enjoyed the tour --thanks for sharing. Ironically, my post today is titled "Little Williamsburg". Stop by, if you get a chance, to see some pictures of Old Salem, NC.

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete