Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tablescape Thursday - A walk on the beach

Here we are, once again, playing with our dishes and looking forward to visiting all the other dish delights at the "progressive tablescape party" hosted every Thursday by Susan of "Between Naps On The Porch"


The antique washstand in my dining room is dressed for the Summer season with my jar of shells collected in Florida on vacation earlier this year, my "Cup of Sea" and a little picture that says it all....


...Life is sweeter by the sea. We love beach vacations the best. So lets take a walk on the beach today... shall we?


For my beach tablescape I've layered a tan linen tablescarf that just covers the top of my table over my white tablecloth. The tan linen looks like sand to me.


It looks like the beach is full of activity today!


The little sandpipers are darting and dancing across the sand.


They always make me smile as they scurry back and forth in the sand, just out of reach. I found these two cute guys at the thrift store a few weeks back.

It looks like a special treasure has washed ashore. This cute bottle was part of an invitation we got to a wedding next month. The invitation was all rolled up inside this bottle - along with sand, shells and the umbrella.


We'll search for pretty shells as we walk the beach. These were found at the dollar tree this year. Some were brown.


And some were white. I couldn't decide which I liked better, so I got some of each ... just like the beach!


We'll collect starfish in all sorts of variety. Some are white and skinny.


Others are plump and bumpy. I found these at the flea market for $1.25 each.


These are the dishes you've seen plenty of times. JCPenny dishes I found at Good Will a few years back. Starting with the bowl.


Then white salad plates American Altier from Tuesday Morning. I found these right after the Good Will trip.


The JCPenney dinner plate.


Placemats of woven seagrasses from Marshalls.


We're finding such fun keepsakes today at the beach.


Someone has built a beautiful sandcastle. This was an ebay purchase. A discontinued Partylites tealight burner.


Another view of the beachscape.


An overview of our table. White cloth napkins and shell flatware.


A seagull view of the centerpiece.


Would you like to sit and have some refreshing iced tea from my seashell pitcher. Do you take lemon?


Let's stay and chat until the sun sets and the stars come out.



Then we'll stroll home and off to sleep and we'll dream about sandcastles by the sea. Thanks for sharing my walk on the beach today. Now let's go check out all the dish delights everybody's sharing over at "Between Naps On The Porch"

See ya!

34 comments:

  1. Martha, absolutely stunning. Reminds me of our beach vacation recently. Home from Vegas but trying to play catch up with the time. I am really tired today and yesterday was worst.
    How is that littl princess of yours? This tablescape gave me a reminder of the fun my family enjoyed together. I love all beach vacations too; my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha,
    So much inspiration!! I have those same J.C. Penneys dishes that I found at a garage sale only there were only 3 dinner plates left! I wish I could find 1 more I love the centerpiece and all lit up at night, the mood is set perfectly!!! Love it!! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a beautiful setting! I love that pitcher!!!! Everything was perfect. I wish I could find a Dollar Tree store. All we have here are .99 cent stores and they mostly carry food. Hmmmmmmm . . .
    Great post! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha, this is just wonderful. I love it all. YOur sand castle is stunning and the wonderful accessories you added with it are all just perfect. So pretty and so well done. I felt like I really was at the beach. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this unusual pitcher. Very interesting.
    After the lights go out and the table is lit, this is very nice.
    Like your use of lighting.
    Very nice table setting.
    ~D~

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
    Sure hope it was a grand one.
    What 'cha think of being 54?
    It's slowly soaking in.
    54.
    Not a bad age!
    ~D~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martha it is just so beautiful. I love, love the sand castle and the starfish. The whole beach theme is one of my favorites and you have done a marvelous job. Happy belated Birthday you youngster! I am sorry I missed it on your day, but I just wish you all the best always.

    XOSue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy you can really expand on a theme can't you. Your table is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I really like this!! What a wonderful presentation! Love the night time scenes as well!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Martha,
    Just gorgeous! My favorite is the sand pipers. Thanks for sharing.
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dear Martha! Oh, I feel as if I have sand between my toes! What a wonderful table! I love your beach theme and you have so many beachy things that just make it pop!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :0

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the beach! the sandcastle is such fun. Be sure to check my tablescape for next week, it' ON the beach! - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Martha this is all just beachy beautiful...now girl I love the little bottle with the umbreall and sand in it how cute is that for a wedding invite...very clever...love it all my friend...May you have a great day...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband and I leave on Saturday for the beach, and your table has really gotten me in the mood. Thanks for sharing and happy TT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great centerpiece! I remember one of my friends having that sandcastle tealight holder by Partylite. Love your little story as you explained the 'scape, made me feel like I was at the beach picking shells.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh what a lovely beach-themed table! Such a great mix of dishes, and the starfish are so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, it is so, so pretty. I loved looking at all the details you used. I've seen a few beach themed tables lately, and it's amazing how they all look so different.

    Lucky find with the plates. They are really nice.

    I enjoyed my visit!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Martha, your table is great....so clean and fresh just like the sea. It is very calming to me. Love the centerpiece and all your wonderful little details. Just charming!!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the beach and your tablescape is so whimsical and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your table is wonderful. I love the sandcastle as the centerpiece. So full of whimsy and romance.. my daughter will "love" seeing this one... hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  21. FAB sandcastle lighting at night... adorable by daylight!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How pretty! The sandpipers and the shell candle holders. The sand castle. You thought of everything! I love this tablescape. Just wish I was at the beach and away from this horrid heat!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Martha! What great beach accessories you have. I love the candle holders and the birds. The bottle invite is such a fun idea. I really enjoyed seeing all the details of your table!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful, I especially like the sandpipers!

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the beach. What a relaxing table. What fun! You did a very nice job. I could see some BBQ shrimp on the plates:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Martha,
    That's just wonderful --- everything you chose works together perfectly. I've never seen a pitcher like that -- now I want one!

    I like your philosophy about which to buy when you can't decide --- take 'em BOTH!

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving the kind comment on my 'coffee' post. If I ever get rid of the M's, you'll be the first to know!

    Bye for now,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Martha,
    I, too, love the sea, so your tablescape was one of my favorites today. What an adorable sand castle tea light holder. I loved all your little beach accents. Just beautiful! Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahhhh! I feel so relaxed sitting at your beachy tablescape. I really hate to leave & go back to work. Everything was great.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is super great! I can almost hear the sea gulls calling and feel the aqua blue water licking over my feet. A beautiful table!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That shell pitcher is gorgeous! Thanks for the walk on the beach.It was fun chasing the sandpipers...
    Jane (Artfully Graced)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful Martha.. love those starfish & seagulls! LOVE LOVE LOVE the dinnerware.. they go with everything. Thank you so much for dropping by and for always leaving such sweet comments.
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  32. The beach is calling us with your great tablescape. The sandcastle centerpiece is the best and it has that sandy texture. Great prices on your starfish and other finds.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh tables of beachscapes are so fun! Yours is just perfect.
    Happy Twirls

    ReplyDelete