Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Westminster Dog Show table

February has certainly offered us many opportunities for Tablescaping. We start off with Groundhog Day, We have Valentine's Day, President's Day, two Presidents birthdays, Mardi Gras,the start of Lent and The Oscars. I believe I've seen tables set for each one of these. Today, I'm backing up to February 13 & 14 to set my table.....not for Valentine's but....



....my table for the dogs of Westminster. Back for our 20th anniversary, Mr. Mid-Atlantic planned a very special trip for us and we went to NYC to the Westminster Dog Show!



So pull up a seat and let's watch the show. I try to watch this every year....how about you?



It's always exciting to try to pick out which dog is going to be awarded the honor of "Best in Show". There are always crowd pleasers that get lots of cheers. There are dogs who have cuts and coats that are rarely kept that way except for "show". (Poodles, Yorkies, Cockers....) Certain breeds are always my sentimental favorites.



The dogs who've been a part of my life have all left their paw prints on my heart when they crossed to rainbow bridge.



I cut out some paw prints from clip art and used them under clear glass for my salad plates.



Kept my same black flatware from last week.



These black and white checked napkins were as close as I could get to a houndstooth look.....squint your eyes and pretend.



And the award.....


....of "Best In Show"....



.....goes to.....


....this handsome fella striking his best pose. Actually the 2012 winner was a Pekingese. The dogs don't actually compete against each other...but to the standard of their breed. The winner is the dog that in all ways is the best representing their breed. Catigories include Hound Group -- all hounds. Both Mr. Mid-Atlantic and I had hounds growing up. He had Beagles and I had Dachsunds. At the time we attended the show we had two Bassets. Out of this group the wirehaired Dachshund won.(love the look of the wirehairs...cute beards) From the Herding Group there are Shepherds, Collies, Corgis - with the German Shepherd winning. From the Non-Sporting group we find: Eskimos, Bichon Frises, Boston Terrier, Bull dogs, Poodles, Chows with the Dalmation winning. Terriers include Cairn (think Toto from The Wizard of Oz), Fox, Airedale, Scotties, Schnauzers, Westies, Wheatons -- winner - Kerry Blue Terrier. From the Sporting group we would see: Pointers, Retrievers, Setters and Spaniels -- winner - Irish Setter. Working Group includes: Boxers, German Pinschers, Great Danes, Rottweilers, St. Bernards, Huskys - winner - Doberman Pinscher. From the Toy Group: Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Chihuaha, Maltese, Pekingese, Pomeranian, Pug, Shih Tzu, Yorkshire Terriers -- winner - Pekingnese.


So, let's have a look at our condenders.


A Boston Bull dog....



....obviously a hound ....



...a dachshund -- we had the red smooth coated standards, but I find myself attracted to the wire haired doxies now....I wonder how much they shed.



....this one has the soulful look of a basset hound. When we were at the show, we went to the breed competition for the bassets. They came out before competition in these wild turbans so that their ears wouldn't drag the floor and get dirty. Hysterical. LOVE this breed, wonderful temperments, sweet and loyal. But they do shed and slobber. And unfortunately this breed is prone to cancer that took both of ours. (Scarlet and Rhett)



A sweet and playful Shih Tzu. This is our daughter's breed. Sweetness covered in fur.


A watchful Airedale.



Not too sure of this little brown breed. Looks like maybe a spaniel puppy to me. What do you see?



Overview of the table.


The winner's circle.


One last look....



....at all the contestants....



....as they circle the ring.....



.....to see....



....who gets to take home the honor of being the best of the best.



Here at our house, these two are....



....top dogs of our hearts. Both are dogs from local rescue groups, mixed breeds. Nothing like the love of a dog and those brown eyes that just melt me.

So, would I go to the Westminster show again? You bet! In a New York minute! How about you? Have you ever been? Is it on your list of things you want to do?

See ya!

27 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it! Your setting is amazingly creative. Love the doggies myself so I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tablescape!! Think I'll use this idea the next time I set a table for my aunt.. only with cats.. Turkish Vans. Lucky you to go to the dog show. Love to watch it when I can.
    Karen (we have a Chocate Lab)
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with your tablescape, never seen one with a dog theme, I've made one, but used them as accessories. I love your dog collection, I have one too, so you can imagine. Love your dishes with the paws in them, adorable! Yes, I have a few paws on my heart too, specially from our pug that died almost two years ago, I still miss him so. Thank you dear Martha for sharing this lovely tablescape, my heart is smiling.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an adorable tablescape! I would never have thought of a doggie theme. I was wondering how you found dishes with dog paws and then read on that they were clipart! Very creative!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really clever idea! I think you could do this with cats, too. I may have to modify this for one of my Grandlittles Birthday lunches. Love the 'paw' plates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how cute! Of course we love dogs here and we were so proud to see a beagle win a few years ago, since at the time we had just one of our beagles. These days, with one very old beagle and one very young beagle...I feel like it is all dogs all the time around here! I love this table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, Martha, this one is just plain adorable. I love the whole idea of it and the little dogs scattered about. The place setting, napkin, and flatware are perfect with it, and the little paw prints are my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martha, this is just about my very favorite table ever! I love the Westminster Dog Show too. Actually I love anything dog. Yes, Shih tzus are sweetness covered in fur. Your pups are adorable. I love all your little pups on the table too. The paw plates are fabulous. This table just makes me so happy. I'm going to come back to visit it often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martha, I love anything canine--I adore this tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the first tablescape I have ever seen celebrating dogs!! So original and fun! Love your post!! We have two rescue dogs and they are the best ever. Your fur babies look so sweet! We have a border collie and a rat terrior...some day I would love to go to NY for the Westminister!!! Thanks for sharing this very original post!
    Miss Bloomer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful!!! Oh you bet I would go in a New York minute. We watch it each year, and always say, how we would like to go one year. This is such a fun table! We love our boys too and cannot imagine life without our boys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet your the table is. Lucky you, going to the Dog show. We love dogs, so I will show my hubby the table. Makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Martha! Oh, your table is the cutest I've ever seen! I love all of your sweet little dog figurines. You even have blue ribbons! Those paw plates are just darling!
    But, I have to say your two little fuzzy faces are the cutest.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute table...wherever did you find those cute paw plates? I would have to go with the Boston Terrier!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, so cute! My mom has westies, so I've watched the show several times!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just LOVE this! The Westminster Dog Show is close to my heart because even though my mom lived far away from me, we would always talk on the phone about the dog show. It's something I do now with my daughter. The paw print plates are so adorable, and I especially like the pooches on parade around your centerpiece! I love to imagine those basset hounds in turbans! Thanks for making me smile!

    Love your REAL pooches, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh oh, how much fun you must have had. What a wonderful treat to get to be there in person. Your table is soo cute! Love the prize.. Great centerpiece.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to have another dachsund in my life someday...and I would definitely love to go to the dog show!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cute idea, Martha. I love the paw print.
    We are not pet people, gkids have allergies and so does dh. I never had them growing up, so I don't miss them! Some of them are cute to look at, but I don't think I would like the walking and scooping, esp when the weather is bad.
    I know, some people feel that way about kids, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is too cute and so unique! I especially like the paw prints under the salad plates! Thanks for your kind comments left on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Martha, this is absolutely charming! I wondered where you got the great paw print plates - what a clever way to create them. Your dogs are just beautiful both the ones on the table and the real ones!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cute tablescape. I love all the doggies, especially the two real cuties. Wonderful photos, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've used a theme I would never have thought of, and I love it!! What did you think of this year's winner?

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a hoot, Martha!! My grandkidlets would LOVE this table...too, too, cute! They have brother & sister black schnauzers & Ms. C. has to pet every single dog in the neighborhood when she visits.

    You did a great job on this very creative tablescape!

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love dogs! and cats too!
    I have a collection of dog figurines from my childhood...what a great idea to use them on the tablescape...and love the paw-print dishware.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is adorable! My oldest grandchild LOVES dogs, but her mother has said no for now. I'm going to have to do something like this for her when we "babysit" my son's dog. (Maybe I'll even figure out a way to make a place for the doggie to eat - you can get away with that when the kids are little!)

    ReplyDelete